Keyed Alike Padlocks
What Does Keyed Alike Mean?
Keyed alike padlocks ensure that even when you're using more than one to secure an application that keys are identical, meaning that one key can open all locks that come in a set. This is particularly useful as it means you don't have to worry about losing a key to one padlock, as you should have a replacement that can open that lock as well.
Each keyed alike padlock is made of extremely durable materials, and is resistant to cutting, prying and twisting. This means it is practically impossible to remove the keyed alike padlock from a lockout device without the correct key, and these should be kept in a safe place either with the person doing the work, or locked away where others can't access them.
Attaching Multiple Keyed Alike Locks
It is recommended that when completing LOTO procedures that more than one padlock is attached to the lockout device for extra security. Common practice is for each individual working on the maintenance of equipment powered by energy sources to attach their own padlock to the lockout device, thus making sure they are represented as being part of the procedure. This means that that particular individual can remove their padlock from the lockout device upon completion of the work, effectively signing themself off and letting others know that they are not working on the equipment. This means that it will be safe to re-energize the energy source only upon removal of each individual's keyed alike padlock.
Keyed alike padlocks are available in many different forms. There are various different colours available for extra visibility, and it also possible to add different visible logos on the padlocks to ensure employees working on a job get all the information they need.
Why Should I Choose Keyed Alike Padlocks?
Here's everything you need to know about keyed alike padlocks:
- Locks are supplied in a set with a set of keys that opens ALL locks in the set
- The locks are designed to be practically impossible to remove and are resistant to all common forms of damage
- Use these locks if one qualified designated person will have responsibility for the implementation and removal of lockout equipment
- Available in your choice of colour and with insulation
- Choose these if you will assign a padlock to team members but ultimate responsibility is given to the person in charge